The Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa allows skilled workers live and work in specified regional areas of Australia for up to four years.
Once you have held this visa at least two years, you will be eligible to apply for the permanent subclass 887 Skilled – Regional visa, provided you meet all of the relevant criteria. This includes the requirement to have resided in a specified regional or designated area of Australia (in accordance with your nomination or sponsorship, as referred to above) for at least two years, and to have worked in that area on a full-time basis for at least one year.
At the time that you are invited to apply for this visa, you must:
- be under 45 years of age
- have competent English i.e.
hold a valid passport issued by the UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland (and you are a citizen of that country) OR
an IELTS test score of at least 6 in EACH test component OR
an OET test score of at least B in EACH test component OR
a TOEFL iBT test score of at least 12 for listening, 13 for reading, 21 for writing and 18 for speaking OR
a PTE test score of at least 50 in EACH test component OR
a CAE test score of at least 169 in EACH test component
In each case, the test must have been undertaken within the last three years (with the exception of the CAE test, which must be dated on or after 1 January 2015)
- nominate an occupation that is included on the Skilled Occupation List
- score at least 65 on the relevant points test (which takes into account your age, English competency, qualifications and work experience, amongst other factors)
- have your skills assessed by the appropriate Australian skills assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation
- be nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency OR be sponsored by an eligible relative who resides in a designated area of Australia.